Saturday, January 10, 2015

*Happy New Year*

Hello and Happy NewYear!

My name is Dominique and I am the proud owner of Swept Away, a
residential and commercial cleaning company in the Washington, D.C. metro area.  
You are probably wondering how a Twenty-Something year old comes to own a cleaning company.  This is how it happened for this Twenty-Something:

When I graduated from the University of Maryland-College Park, my mom gifted me with a lease to a beautiful BMW 328i (she was on one of those highs your parents experience when you do something great).  At 22 this was my dream car.  New. Beautiful. Expensive.  Everything I wanted.  Fast forward 2.5 years later and it was just about time for my lease to end.  When I asked my mom what "we" were going to do for my new car, her response was "No, what are YOU going to do?"  Call me crazy (and you will), but I was beyond shocked.  Here I am sitting in law school, not really working, not even really sure what I was going to do post law school (my grades were not the most spectacular) - how am I buying myself a new car?  Where was her proud parent high?  Cue the start of Swept Away (not precisely that moment, but it all happened pretty fast once I knew she wasn't helping me get my next "dream car").

Most people that knew me thought it was pretty laughable that I was starting a cleaning company.  To be honest, I was NOT the tidiest person anyone knew (probably still not).  To be even a little more honest, I really wonder at times how my college roommate dealt with some of my horrible habits.  This + no experience what-so-ever = fail, right?  Not quite  :)

However, that is why I started this blog.  Over the years, I have been blessed to see my company grow each and every year.  I have learned more than I would have ever imagined from watching my employees clean the homes of many.  I incorporate a majority of this into my own cleaning routine (in between my own Swept Away cleanings, of course).  I think now is a great time to begin to share.  So, if you are on a limited budget, pinching pennies, or just can't bring yourself to hire a company, I hope the tips to follow will help.  Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to some new tips and tricks!

    xo Danai
    Champagne, Darling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm going out and purchasing the Magic Eraser. The owner of Swept Away is simply brilliant. Wish they were in my community.

    ReplyDelete