Monday, June 1, 2015

Product Spotlight: Vacuums

In this business, you test {a lot} of supplies, products, equipment, you name it - I've bought it/rented it/borrowed it.  One of the most essential items you can have in your cleaning arsenal is a good vacuum.  I currently own a total of 6 vacuums.  While I won't tell you about the ones I hate (and never use), I will tell you about the tried and trues that I would recommend.

What: Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner  
Where to Buy: Sears 
Price: $349.99 (but usually on sale for much less) + warranty + bags
Grade: A
own two Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuums. 




{Side note - Kenmore makes other Canister vacuums that are a little less expensive.  While I don't own those, I trust Kenmore and have heard good things about the others.  The downside is you can usually only take to Sears for repairs opposed to your run of the mill vacuum repair store.  BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY.  I don't even keep these vacuums once my warranty is up because of the cost of repair.}

What: Bissell Powerforce Bagged Vacuum with Febreze, 1398

Where to Buy: Walmart
Price: $39.99 + cost of bags
Grade: B (But for the price, A+)

If you are looking for a budget friendly, no frills option - this is it.  RUN to Walmart and find this vacuum (running to your computer to buy it online will also work).  While I tend to be one of those people that says you get what you pay for - not the case here.


Back in 2011, I was taking one of rather expensive vacuums to the repair shop (shop details will be below) for probably the 10th time.  Much to my dismay, I was informed that it would probably be two weeks before they had time to fix it.  While Swept Away was not nearly as busy as it is now, it was too busy to have my only vacuum at the time not working for two weeks.  The shop owner told me to go to Walmart and get the Bissell to hold me over while I waited for this vacuum to get fixed.  Long story short, I've never used the repaired vacuum again.  It is lightweight (good for going up and down steps) and it works very good.  Honestly, if the cleaners had not asked me to switch to a canister vacuum, we would still use this as the main vac versus the backup vac.


The Bissell comes with a detachable hose (necessity), but it does not have any of the other perks you will get with Kenmore.  However, keep in mind that your vacuum does not have to survive thousands of appointments each year and you may not truly need all of the various options a Kenmore offers.


Where I go for all repairs and supplies: 

American Vacuum Cleaner Company 
11212 Georgia Avenue, Wheaton, MD 20902
(301) 933-6662



I don't recommend buying vacuum bags at Sears.  They are much more expensive (something like $9.99) than American Vacuum ($4.99) and I cannot tell you how many times they didn't even have them in stock.  As of now, he doesn't repair the Kenmore vacs, so getting the warranty is key!


1 comment:

  1. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. best vacuum

    ReplyDelete